HERALD (HElp for RAdio Link Design) is a powerful single user PC program for Windows that assists the radio engineer in the rapid design of point-to-point (multi-hop) microwave links and networks, in the frequency range from 0.4 to 90 GHz.
HERALD is based on well-assessed procedures for radio link design, implemented in an interactive, user-friendly PC program with close reference to design guidelines given by ITU-R Recommendations.
The main design functions performed by HERALD Professional are :
- Topology definition (Radio Sites, including Passive Repeater Sites, and Radio Hops)
- Radio Equipment and antenna configuration of Radio Sites
- Path profile analysis (clearance conditions, obstruction loss, reflection geometry, and diversity)
- Link Budget computation, with estimate of unavailability time due to rain and of outage time due to multipath propagation
- Atmspheric absorption estimate (ITU-R Rec. P.676).
- Interference search and analysis, estimate of receiver degradation
Herald uses Digital Elevation Model data from NASA/SRTM terrain maps and now also the option for ASTER maps to calculate path profiles, site height data, and clearance.
Definition of Radio Section and comparison of Radio Section performance with objectives set by ITU Recs. (G.821 / G.826 / G.828).
Herald Pro Features
Herald Pro is packed with features designed to simplify and accelerate radio / microwave link planning. From a simple go / no-go path profile to complex networks with interference analysis and end to end performance objectives, Herald Pro delivers professional Radio Link Engineering tools for the serious radio / microwave planner.
Herald exports sites and links to Google Earth and imports sites from Google Earth in kml format providing visual mapping tools to quickly establish networks.
Herald uses SRTM or ASTER digital terrain models for accurate path profiles.
Choose ITU or North American objectives when performing link designs.
Create detailed radio link designs in minutes instead of hours with our simple to use intuitive interface.
Please visit the links on the page to see the features in detail.